Byron Shire Council resolved on 13 August 2015 to introduce a pay parking scheme for the Byron Bay town centre from December 2015. The new parking scheme will be based upon vehicle number plates and will apply to the Byron Bay town centre as marked in pink in the map below.
Charges and Exemptions
- Local exemption coupon increase from $25 to $50 per year.
- Staff/ Worker exemption coupons for out of shire residents $100/year
- Voluntary workers exemption coupon for out of shire residents $100/year
- Town centre and beachfront parking $3.00 per hour capped at $10.00 for 4P ($2.50 per hour)
- Long term parking capped at $20.00 per day($2.50 per hour 9-6)
- 300 spaces created at Butler Street Reserve for all day staff parking and long term tourist
- 40 -50 spaces created in a proposed car park at the top end of Middleton street near the beachfront.
- Beachfront at the wreck on Belongil will remain at 4 hours
- Clarkes Beach carpark and carpark behind Hogsbreath proposed all day parking
- Lifting time limits from 2 hours to 4 hours in town centre to avoid traffic movements and easing
tourist stress of having to move the car
- Introduction of short 15 minute loading zones
- Introduction of more 1/2 hour car spaces in the town centre for short stays
- All day parking suggested one street back from Fletcher St, and Kingsley St south on Jonson.
Feedback & Review
- A paid parking working group (represented by 2 Byron United board) will be meeting to discuss the timed zones for Byron town centre and to ensure that adequate staff parking is available for long term stays throughout the town areas.
- Council has agreed to have a full review after 6 months operation to monitor the impact on businesses in the town centre, the revenue generated during the peak season and the overall summary of the roll out and the impact on the town generally.